Friday, February 11, 2011

Academic uses for a webcam

        I've always used my computer's webcam for personal tasks, but never really considered using it for academic reasons. People tend to associate webcams with online, video chatting, but someone doesn't need to be on the other side of the camera to make use of it. Based on the different backgrounds that were availible, and the option to include your own backgrounds, I would use the technology of a webcam to do a world-wide tourism project. Each student would be  given, or would select, a country and then they would have to find out everything there is to know about that country. They would need to 'photograph' themselves at various important locations (tourist spots, monuments, etc) in that country. The ability to change photo backgrounds for the webcam would make this project possible.
       
         Another way I would use this, if studying Operation Iraqui Freedom/The War on Terror, is to video chat with some friends that I have who are in the military. Doing a weekly video chat would keep the students up to date with what is going on over in the Middle East as well as give them a personal connection to the task.
    
        I would then have the students, depending on grade level, use the xtranormal program to create a 30 second commercial 'advertising' their country.

       These are just a few simple ideas, but I think that they would make the information come alive to the students as well as make it personal to them.

1 comment:

  1. I like your "world-wide tourism project" idea. I know the fifth grade in my district does a similar thing with the 50 states (or at least used to). Your idea would adapt very handily to that.

    ReplyDelete